YMCA Specialty Class Instructor, Cedar Park, TX
The TWIN LAKES FAMILY YMCA in Cedar Park, TX, is now accepting applications for energetic, dependable and articulate individuals to work as a Specialty Summer Camp Instructor.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Candidates MUST be available to work their assigned day shifts: 6:30 am until 1:00 pm or 12:30 pm – 6:00 pm, Monday - Fridays. Punctuality, reliability, and a pleasant personality is a MUST.
- High school diploma or GED Preferred
- At least 1 year of specialty instruction preferred
- 6 college credits or 60 clock hours training in related field.
- Plans and instructs specialty classes following YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Sets up and takes down class equipment. Reports equipment problems.
- Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as required. Maintains current certifications relative to specialty area.
- Observes and discusses individual progress with participants. Develops rapport with members and responds to related questions.
- Ensures safe and effective classes. Responds to, and reports, accidents and incidents.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs. Motivates participants to commit to long-term participation.
- Experience working with large groups of children in a school, camp, etc...
- Effective classroom management skills, with teaching experience preferred
- Punctuality and reliability, with access to reliable transportation
- Minimum 12 months experience in teaching inside a classroom setting
- Be friendly, courteous, and enthusiastic, possess a cooperative attitude, and be a team player.
- Be willing and able to work a variety of shifts, on weekend and some evenings.
- Have strong communication and organizational skills.
- Have a neat appearance and be well-groomed.
- Plans and implements a program in accordance with the goals and policies of the YMCA. Coordinates activities which are culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Any additional duties as assigned.
- Developing Others
- Emotional Maturity
Skills / Requirements
- Incumbent must be at least 18 years of age with a high school degree or equivalent work/education experience.
- 1 year of experience in related specialty and 1+ years’ experience leading or instructing in specialized area.
- Must be able to establish and maintain harmonious relationships by promoting caring, honesty, respect and responsibility with staff, YMCA members, and program participants.
- Incumbent must be a positive role model to children and display emotional maturity and stability at all times.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Position requires the ability to individually lead a class and to motivate and educate members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be CPR/AED and First Aid certified or willing to be certified within first 30 days of employment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Work is performed in a fast-paced office, school gymnasium, and/or outdoor environments.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to safely supervise children’s activities.
- Visual acuity is required for reading computer screens and/or documents and making changes as necessary/required.
- Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration. This position requires analytical abilities and multitasking in order to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Job requires accuracy and attention to detail, organizational, and time management skills, while maintaining high levels of initiative in order to work within deadlines.
- Occasional stooping and bending with regular lifting of up to 20 pounds is required.
- Incumbent must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, as well as, able to manipulate keyboards, telephone keypads, and writing utensils is essential.
Be able to pass reference checks, pre-employment drug screen, background check and sex offender check.
The YMCA of Greater Williamson County is $26 million Association focusing on mission driven, non-profit services. Our organization is home to the largest school age childcare provider in Williamson County and health and fitness programs that improve the quality of life in over 42,000 members ranging from preschool through senior citizens. The Association currently encompasses 4 facility Branches, a centralized Childcare Department, a Metropolitan Services Branch, and over 100 program sites committed to meeting the needs of our diverse population. The YMCA of Greater Williamson County responds to community needs with effective community-based programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility for all people throughout Williamson County.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to Jene’ Riley, Membership and Youth Development Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay: $10.67 to $14.95/hour
Job Status: Part Time